September 2, 2009

The kindness of strangers


I was at the grocery store yesterday with Jayna. The man in line behind us offered a roll of Lifesavers to Jayna, and she readily accepted it, saying “Gracias”. He told the cashier to put the candies on his bill and told Jayna, “Just don’t eat the whole roll at once!”

I left the store feeling quite overwhelmed. This has never happened before! What was this gentleman’s motive? Just trying to make a little girl happy? We left the store and I saw the man get into his old car and drive off. What am I supposed to learn from this? All I can think of is that these little acts of kindness remind me of the goodness in the world and the generosity of strangers.

The way that we react to situations and people in life speaks of what we value, whether we realize it or not! Why not share something simple, a little kindness? The more you practice, the easier it will get. The chance to be a blessing to someone will no doubt put a smile on their face – and on yours!